Source | LinkedIn : By Oisín Grogan
A friend of mine says people hate meetings because:
- They don’t start on time..
- They don’t finish on time..
- What’s in the middle is a waste of time!
It’s true–many meetings are a waste of time! Unproductive meetings can cost your business big time. 5 people x 1 hour = 5 hours. Multiply that by everyone’s hourly value. You better be increasing production or don’t hold it.
It’s not just the wasted hours, it’s the lost production time. Unnecessary meetings are a double loss, when they are not effective…
Here’s a few tips on how to have shorter and more effective meetings:
- Define the purpose of the meeting.
- Define the outcome of the meeting.
- Have a timed agenda and someone in charge.
- Facts–not opinions!
- Keep people on-point. (Only talk about matters relating to their job)
Let’s take each point:
1. Define the purpose of the meeting.
Why are we holding this meeting? If you can’t answer that, don’t hold it.
Here are some examples but you can make it whatever you want for your business:
Weekly Sales Meeting:
-To set targets and coordinate the sales team for increased sales for the week.
-To help the salespeople with their deals so they can sell more.